Sunday, October 12, 2008

Service with a Dollar (The Article)

So here is the dealio:
I may be an English minor but my writing skills are seriously lacking. I know this isn't the best article ever BUT New Era bought it, so they must have liked it. It is pretty short but oh well. I am very VERY self conscious of my writing so... well here it is.

Service with a Dollar

My name is Ryanne Roberts, and I am a student at BYU-Idaho. Last semester I had an experience that changed my idea of service. One day a professor of mine gave everyone in the class a one dollar bill. Our assignment was to find someone who really needed help and find away to serve them using just the dollar we were given. I did not think much about the assignment; in fact, I gave my dollar to a little boy so he could get a snack while he waited for his parents.
In class the day the assignment was due, a girl got up and said that everyone in the class got together to do their service project together because if they combined their dollars they would have a lot more to help someone out with. I felt completely out of place because I had no idea what they were talking about. The girl continued by putting a cardboard box on my desk and then she said, “Ryanne, this class loves you for your strength. We each started out with just a dollar but we were able to put our dollars together and collect some from other people to give to you to help you pay for your arthritis medicine.” Each member of the class took turns going up to the front of the class and telling me why they loved me, they then took the money they had raised and placed it in the box.
There were only ten people in my class, but together they had raised a few hundred dollars because they cared about me. I was very appreciative of the money because it was able to help me get my medicines I needed, but even more I was grateful for the thought they had put into the assignment.
Everyone is blessed with certain gifts and talents. It is up to each of us to come up with ways to share our gifts and talents to serve those around us. In my case, my classmates were each given a dollar and they were able to find away to use their dollars to impact my life, it was more than just the money, it was friendship.
As we keep God’s commandments we will be blessed with more gifts and as we use those gifts to serve others we will be blessed even more. Service is not always about huge acts of kindness but can include small and simple things; such as, listening to a friend, giving encouragement, and sharing your feelings of appreciation to someone you love.


After reading it again... there are some things I would change and add but I'll leave it how it is for now. I hope you all enjoyed it.

ok I'm going to bed.
Goodnight

4 comments:

jsmbbaker said...

That's a great article- don't change a thing! I wish I could write something so powerful!

Judds said...

Ry excellent job! I loved it! That was such a great story. When will it be in the magazine.

Lauri said...

What a great event to write about...and even better that you were the recipient of such wonderful service!

mrs. timberlake said...

i love ryanne star.